2022-2023 Catalog 
    May 28, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services Information

Admission Policy

Wor-Wic has an open door admission policy. Standard entrance examinations are not required, but free placement tests are administered to assist in the appropriate selection of courses.

Admission is open to anyone 16 years old or older who has graduated from or left elementary or secondary school and has the ability to benefit from instruction. Current high school students who are at least 16 years old must provide signed authorization from the high school principal or his or her designee indicating that they have permission to attend. Students under the age of 16 who are identified as having the ability to benefit by Wor-Wic’s counselor can be admitted if they have completed at least the seventh grade and have a Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) mathematics subset score of at least 530 and an English subset score of 480 or American College Testing (ACT) subset scores of at least 21.

As an institution that serves the local community, Wor-Wic does not function as an international student training center, and is not authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to issue I-20 forms.

Limited Admission Programs

Emergency medical services, nursing, occupational therapy assistant, physical therapist assistant and radiologic technology are limited admission programs. Information about admission and selection is available on the college website.

Dual Enrollment

High school students in public and private high schools that have dual enrollment agreements with the college can attend Wor-Wic while they are still in high school. Interested students should see their high school counselor to determine if they qualify. More information is available from Wor-Wic’s director of early college initiatives.

Application Procedures

Anyone interested in enrolling in credit courses must complete an online admission application on the college website. Applicants who have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent and those who have completed college courses should also have unofficial or official transcripts sent to Wor-Wic. Applicants are notified of the status of their applications after they are received. No credit is granted, however, until official transcripts have been received.

Individuals interested in obtaining detailed information about admission to the college or about specific program offerings should address their inquiries to:

Wor-Wic Community College
32000 Campus Drive
Salisbury, MD 21804
Phone: 410-334-2895
Fax: 410-334-2901
Email: admissions@worwic.edu

Acceptance of Credits into Wor-Wic

From High School

High school students in Worcester, Wicomico, Somerset and Dorchester counties could be eligible to receive college credit for certain occupational courses they completed in high school as a result of articulation agreements between Wor-Wic and the local boards of education. Students must have a copy of their official high school transcripts forwarded to the registrar within three years of their high school graduation and prior to registering for classes at Wor-Wic. Articulated credits could be transferable to other Maryland public postsecondary institutions as well. Information on eligibility can be obtained from the registrar or the college website.

From Standardized Testing Agencies

Wor-Wic accepts Advanced Placement (AP) scores of “3” or higher, as well as College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) scores of “4” or higher. Students who completed AP or CLEP exams should have their official score reports sent to admissions from the College Board. Students who have completed the IB DP program should have their official transcripts sent by their DP coordinator. Copies of high school transcripts are not acceptable.

From Other Colleges or Universities

Wor-Wic accepts credits that have been completed at other regionally-accredited, degree-granting institutions of higher education if the courses are equivalent to and meet the requirements of the student’s program of study at Wor-Wic. Upon the receipt of official transcripts, transfer credits are evaluated by admissions on a course-by-course basis. Semester hours for classes at schools operating on a quarter-hour system are adjusted to determine equivalent semester hours.

If students are unable to obtain an official transcript, they can take the placement exam or provide an unofficial transcript for advising purposes. Course recommendations are made based on the information available to advisors. No credit is granted, however, until the official transcript has been received.

Credits awarded by proficiency examinations at other institutions are also accepted at Wor-Wic. Transfer credits are counted toward credits needed for a degree, but they are not used in the computation of grade point average (except for the calculation of admission points in the emergency medical services, nursing, occupational therapy assistant, physical therapist assistant and radiologic technology programs).

Students who were on academic probation or suspension at their former institution can still be accepted as a student at Wor-Wic. They are admitted on academic probation and limited to three classes during their first term. These students are required to meet with their advisor prior to registration to create a plan to achieve a satisfactory academic standing.

From Foreign Institutions

International students who want to be admitted as high school graduates or who want to transfer college credits into Wor-Wic must have their high school or college transcripts evaluated by World Education Services, at their own expense. They can be reached at 312-222-0882. Credits transferred from foreign institutions are awarded the same as transfer credits from U.S. institutions. General education courses of less than three semester hours are not accepted.

From the Military and Other Non-Traditional Ways

Military credits and credits for specialized training recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE) are awarded the same as other transfer credits. Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans can obtain a Joint Services Transcript (JST) through ACE. Air Force transcripts can be obtained from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans who served prior to 1976 and Air Force veterans who served prior to 1972 can access their DD-414s through the National Archives. Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) transcripts can be requested through the DANTES website.

Disability Services

Wor-Wic provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The college does not diagnose or treat disabilities, but does provide reasonable accommodations to ensure that disabled students have an equal opportunity to participate in Wor-Wic’s educational programs. Students requesting these services should submit medical and/or educational documentation to the academic and disabilities counselor at least four weeks before the start of classes so that eligibility can be determined and the appropriate accommodations can be made. Text, voice and computer modem users can call Wor-Wic toll free through the Maryland Relay Service by calling 1-800-552-7724 or 410-767-6960 (Voice/TTY) or 1-443-453-5970 (Video Phone). To request an accommodation or for more information, call the academic and disabilities counselor at 410-334-2897. Disability grievance procedures can be found in Appendix A .

Career Services

Wor-Wic offers a variety of career services for anyone in the community, for credit and continuing education students, as well as for alumni and area employers. The free services include individual vocational counseling, access to various computerized occupational information delivery systems and any workshops that are scheduled during the year.

In addition to these services, credit and continuing education students and alumni can receive assistance with resume and cover letter writing, interview preparation, one-on-one job referral and career counseling through career services.

Area employers can take advantage of free job referral services by having positions advertised on the “job openings” bulletin board at the college campus and in the career services section of the college website. In addition, employers can schedule employee recruitment interviews on campus. An annual job fair is held in the spring for current students, alumni and the community.

TRIO Student Support Services Program

First generation college students, students from low income backgrounds or students with disabilities are eligible for participation in the TRIO student support services program. The program provides students with opportunities for academic development, career and cultural exploration, and assistance with financial aid. By offering support and resources, the program motivates students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. Designed to increase academic success, retention, graduation and transfer, the program is grant funded and limited to 144 participants per year. Students interested in applying for the program can call 410-334-6914.

Veterans Upward Bound Program

The TRIO Veterans Upward Bound program is designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of postsecondary education. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in core subject areas. Services include assistance with completing college entrance and financial aid applications, preparing for college entrance examinations, information on the full range of federal student financial aid programs and benefits, guidance and assistance with alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to receipt of a regular secondary school diploma and entry into general education development (GED) programs. This grant-funded program is limited to 125 participants each year. Participants must meet military service requirements stipulated in the authorizing statute and be low income or prospective first-generation college students who are preparing to enter a college or university. Veterans interested in applying for the program can call 410-334-2882.

Enrollment Coaching

All new students are required to meet with an enrollment coach to explore career options, identify a credit or non-credit pathway, learn about financial assistance opportunities and determine the need for placement testing. The enrollment coach is the initial point of contact before the student meets with an academic advisor for academic planning and registration. Enrollment coaching sessions are offered in person (preferred), via phone or through video conferencing.

Academic Advising

All students are assigned an academic advisor who is knowledgeable about their program of study. Students can find the name and contact information of their advisor on the myWor-Wic portal. Advising sessions are offered in person, via phone or through video conferencing.

Students who are attending college for the first time are required to meet with their assigned advisor to evaluate their career goals, develop an educational plan and register for courses. After completing half of the requirements for their program of study, students are required to meet with their assigned advisor to review requirements for graduation. It is the student’s responsibility, however, to know and follow the requirements for his or her program of study.

Current students who maintain continuous enrollment are encouraged to meet regularly with their academic advisor. Call 410-572-8725 or email academicadvising@worwic.edu to make an appointment.


Registration dates are listed in the academic calendar. Current and former members of the U.S. armed services, including the National Guard and military reserves, can register during priority registration. Currently-enrolled students can register during early registration. New students and those returning after a fall or spring term absence can register during the regular registration period.

Those who register for 12 or more credit hours per term are classified as full-time students, while those who register for 11 or fewer credit hours are classified as part-time students.

Students who owe the college more than $250 from the prior term can register if they make arrangements to pay their balance due by the end of the term. Students who owe $250 or less can register if they agree to pay their balance due before the last day to add classes for the term.

A student cannot register for more than 18 credit hours during a fall or spring term or seven credit hours during a summer term without the permission of his or her academic advisor or the director of advising.  

Students must meet with their advisor to register in person, via phone or through video conferencing if they are:

  • New students attending Wor-Wic for the first time;
  • New transfer students;
  • Returning after a fall or spring term of non-enrollment;
  • Currently in high school;
  • On academic probation or required to attend a suspension conference;
  • Missing prerequisites; or
  • Taking a course that requires permission of the department head or dean.

All other students can register without their advisor using the myWor-Wic portal. 

When a class is full, a waitlist is created. Students can add themselves to the waitlist prior to the last day to register. Students should see their advisor if they are unable to waitlist themselves online. If space becomes available, students are automatically registered, billed and notified through their student email account. It is the student’s responsibility to make payment arrangements or apply for financial aid to pay for the course.

Information on specific registration procedures is available from academic advising prior to each term.


When a student is readmitted after one year or more of non-enrollment, the student must follow the requirements and regulations of the catalog that is in effect on the date of readmission. In order to be readmitted, the student must complete a re-entry form on the Wor-Wic website. Students who need assistance with their login are encouraged to contact the admissions office.

Change of Student Information

Most communication between the college and its students is by email, mail, text message or telephone. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the admissions office with a current email address, mailing address and telephone number whenever changes are made. Currently-enrolled students who are changing their name, address and/or telephone number, must submit a change of address through the myWor-Wic portal.

Change of Major

Students who want to change their major should send a request through the myWor-Wic portal.

Crossover Courses

Wor-Wic offers courses that are usually offered as “credit” courses and others that are usually offered as “non-credit” courses. However, there are specific non-credit courses that can be taken “for credit.” These classes are called crossover courses. Students interested in receiving credit for an eligible non-credit course must complete an admission application, seek advisement from their academic advisor and register for the course as a special student. A student not interested in college credit can complete the registration form in continuing education and workforce development. In either case, students must declare their intention to take the course for credit or as a non-credit course no later than the last day to drop credit classes for the term.

English as a Second Language

New students who speak English as a second language (ESL) are required to take computerized assessments of their English language skills before they can take Wor-Wic’s general placement tests or enroll in any credit classes. Students can complete the assessments during the regular operating hours of the testing center. Students must have a photo identification (ID) card to present at the time of testing.

Students whose scores indicate a deficit in their English skills could be required to take ENG 081 , ENG 082  and/or ENG 083 , which are offered through the college’s division of continuing education and workforce development. Students must pass the course(s) before they can take general placement tests or any credit courses. 

Placement Testing

To increase the student’s chances for academic success, Wor-Wic administers free placement tests that analyze a student’s academic strengths and weaknesses to assist in the appropriate selection of courses. The tests are mandatory for:

  1. New students who are currently in high school;
  2. New students who do not have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
  3. Special students who want to register beyond nine cumulative credit hours; 
  4. Students who want to register for an English or mathematics course or any college-level course that has an English or mathematics prerequisite;
  5. Students whose test scores indicated the need for developmental coursework more than two years ago who never completed the coursework; or
  6. Students who were exempt from testing more than two years ago who didn’t complete any English or math classes at the college. 

Exemptions to English and/or math placement testing are granted for:

  1. Students who have associate or higher degrees from regionally-accredited colleges in the U.S. who can provide unofficial or official transcripts; 
  2. New students who are classified as special students who want to register for one course in a term that does not have a college-level English or mathematics prerequisite;
  3. College transfer students who have received transfer credit for ENG 101  and/or a college-level mathematics course (MTH 152  or higher);
  4. Students who have received a mathematics Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) subset score of at least 530 and/or an English score of 480 within the past two years;
  5. Students who have received American College Testing (ACT) subset scores of at least 21 in mathematics and an average of 21 on the reading and writing sections within the past two years;
  6. Students who have received a score of 165 or above on the GED within the past two years;
  7. Students who have earned an English 10 or 11 and/or an Algebra II Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) or Maryland Comprehensive Assessment Program (MCAP) score of Level 4 or 5 who register or start classes within one year after the student’s date of high school graduation;
  8. Students who have earned a grade 4 or above on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Language and Literature assessment and/or the IB Math Studies assessment;
  9. Students who have successfully completed a high school transition course in English and/or mathematics who register or start classes within one year after the student’s date of high school graduation;
  10. Students who have earned a score of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) English Language and Composition test or the English Literature and Composition test and/or the AP Calculus AB or BC test; and
  11. Students who register or start classes within five years after the student’s date of high school graduation and who earned at least a 3.0 cumulative unweighted high school GPA by the first semester of their senior year who want to take ENG 101 MTH 102  or MTH 152 .

The need for placement testing is assessed by the enrollment coach during the required coaching session. Students interested in an exemption should forward their official transcripts and/or test scores to admissions.

Enrollment coaches make testing center appointments for students who need to take placement tests. Students referred to the testing center must bring a photo identification (ID) card to the testing session. Testing center hours are provided on the college website.

Students are permitted to retake the placement tests one time, following a 24-hour waiting period. Placement is based on the student’s higher score. Requests for exceptions can be submitted to academic advising. Test scores and waivers are valid for two years unless the student meets one or more placement testing exceptions. After two years, students must retest in subject areas for which developmental coursework was indicated and for which the coursework was not attempted or completed.

Developmental Education

Students whose test scores indicate a strong need for support in reading, writing or mathematics are required to enroll in one or more developmental education courses. Based on their test scores, students could be required to take ENG 087 , which is offered through the continuing education and workforce development division or ENG 095 , ENG 096 , ENG 097 , MTH 091 , MTH 092  and/or MTH 099 . These courses are not counted as part of a degree or certificate program.

Students who need developmental education courses must take at least one developmental education course in any term in which they are enrolled in more than one credit course. Students who are taking two or more developmental education courses are strongly encouraged not to take more than nine credit hours in a fall or spring term.

Students who receive an “R” grade are required to re-register for the same developmental education course during the following fall or spring term. If the student does not re-take the course the following fall or spring term, the “R” grade automatically becomes an “F.”

Students taking developmental education courses must enroll in 100-level English and mathematics courses in the same term or the term immediately following the completion of their developmental education coursework. Developmental education students are required to complete English and mathematics courses at the 100 level or above within their first 24 credit hours of college-level coursework. Students waived from developmental coursework should enroll in their 100-level English and math courses within their first year of academic coursework.

Learning Assistance

The reading and writing center is available to all currently-enrolled students who need assistance with reading or writing assignments. Students can use the center to work on specific assignments, complete online tutorial and instructional programs, and receive assistance with research, content and format for their written work. Individual conferences are available in person or online by making an appointment on the myWor-Wic portal or on a walk-in basis during regular operating hours.

The mathematics laboratory is available to all currently-enrolled students who need assistance with their mathematics assignments. Students can use the laboratory to work on specific assignments and to view online tutorial and instructional programs that are required for their course. No appointment is necessary and laboratory instructors are available to help students who drop in during regular operating hours.

The tutoring center is available to all currently-enrolled students who need assistance with a variety of courses. Peer tutors provide assistance for assignments in courses that they have successfully completed. The variety of courses varies each term. No appointment is necessary. A schedule of tutors and their course expertise is posted on the myWor-Wic portal at the beginning of each term.

Online tutoring is also available to all currently-enrolled students who need assistance with a variety of courses, many of which offer tutoring 24/7. Live tutoring, an online writing lab and developmental education support are among the services available through the Brainfuse link in Blackboard.

Fundamentals of College Study (SDV 100)

To further increase the student’s chances for academic success, Wor-Wic requires all new students who are attending college for the first time to take SDV 100  in their first term at the college. Exceptions are made for students with an associate or higher degree, students who have accumulated nine credit hours with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and students who transfer an equivalent course to Wor-Wic.

SDV 100  introduces students to the information and habits that facilitate academic success at the college level. This course specifically encourages students to explore the Wor-Wic experience by interacting with peers, faculty and administrators and by both examining and experiencing the types of skills and attitudes that will enable them to be successful in their college careers.

Students who do not receive a passing grade the first time they register for SDV 100  are required to re-register for the course in the next term. If a student fails the course a second time, he or she must attend mandatory counseling sessions with the dean of enrollment management and student services prior to registering for a subsequent term.

Child Care Services

Wor-Wic offers weekday educational programs for children from two through five years old. A day camp is also offered in the summer months for children from five through 12 years old. Child care services are provided in the Jordan Center for children of Wor-Wic students and employees, as well as local residents on a space-available basis.


Academic and personal counseling services are available to all students. Counseling services include screening and appropriate community referrals, as well as assistance with stress, time management, school anxiety and other issues that can affect a student’s academic performance. The counseling office also offers workshops on personal awareness, communication, stress management and other issues of interest to students. Information and resources related to health and wellness are also available.

Heroin and Opioid Addiction Training

All new full-time students are required by Maryland law to participate in heroin and opioid addiction awareness and prevention training. Part-time students receive resources to alert and educate them about heroin and opioid addiction and prevention.

Dropping and Adding Courses

Students who registered online can drop or add a course online. Drop and add deadlines are listed in the academic calendar. Students who want to add a course after the term has started must obtain approval from the advising center. Courses that are dropped are not recorded on a student’s transcript.

Dropping a course does not necessarily eliminate the student’s financial obligations to the college. Depending on the date the course is dropped, the student could be eligible for a refund. Students who are receiving financial aid should be aware that dropping a course could affect the amount of their award.


Students are encouraged to attend all class sessions. Due to specific course requirements, some faculty members could place greater emphasis on regular attendance than others and student grades could be affected by attendance in these classes. Instructors notify the registrar of students who have not attended class by the last day to drop. Students who do not attend or participate in at least one class session by this date are dropped from all of their courses.

It is the student’s responsibility to comply with the individual attendance policies of their instructors. Failure to attend class does not necessarily eliminate the student’s financial obligations to the college, and can cause the cancellation of the student’s financial aid. Students who have issues that could affect their ability to attend classes on a regular basis should contact their academic advisor.


After the drop period ends, students can withdraw from a course online. Students who are not eligible for online registration must meet with an advisor. All students, however, are encouraged to discuss withdrawing with an advisor. Withdrawal deadlines are listed in the academic calendar. A “W” grade is recorded on the transcript for any course in which the student has officially withdrawn.

Withdrawing from a course does not eliminate the student’s financial obligations to the college. Students who are receiving financial aid should be aware that withdrawing from a course could affect the amount of their award and jeopardize their eligibility for financial aid in the future.


The purpose of orientation is to provide students with the tools necessary to be successful. All new students are required to complete an online orientation prior to the first day of classes. The orientation is presented in modules that can be completed one at a time or all at once. The modules identify campus buildings/locations, introduce students to Blackboard, review campus resources and provide information about how students can become involved in their education beyond the classroom experience.

Welcome Wednesday

All new students are strongly encouraged to attend a Welcome Wednesday session prior to beginning their classes at Wor-Wic. These sessions give students the opportunity to meet with other students, faculty members and administrators and to learn about student activities and resources offered by the college. Students should contact student services for more information.  

Student Email

All new students receive a college email account. A username and password for a student’s college email account is sent to the email address the student provides on his or her admission application. Students must use their official Wor-Wic email account for all communications with other students and employees at the college. Faculty members provide their students with information about how email will be used in their classes. The email accounts of students who do not maintain continuous enrollment are deleted.

Identification Cards

New students receive photo identification (ID) cards in student services after presenting acceptable documentation. Students who do not have a valid ID card are denied access to certain facilities, such as the fitness center. A fee of $2 is charged to replace lost, stolen or mutilated cards.


Student parking stickers are available at the college information desk. Students must park in student parking areas and display valid parking stickers on their vehicles. Violations of the college’s parking/traffic regulations carry a $20 fine and are delivered on a public safety citation form. Parking/traffic information and regulations can be obtained at the college information desk.

Smoking/Tobacco Use

Smoking/tobacco use, including smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes, is permitted on campus only in designated tobacco use or parking lot areas that are at least 25 feet from any building. Smoking/tobacco use is not permitted in the lot in front of Brunkhorst Hall (BH). Verbal warnings can be delivered by public safety officers, as well as other employees at the college. Repeat offenders or those who refuse to comply with verbal warnings can be issued a citation. Violations of the smoking/tobacco use policy carry a $20 fine and are delivered on a public safety citation form. Smoking/tobacco use in “no smoking/tobacco use” areas is also a violation of student conduct regulations and is subject to further disciplinary action. A copy of the smoking/tobacco use policy can be obtained at the college information desk.


The college bookstore, located in the Hazel Center, sells all of the required and recommended textbooks, study guides, reference books, computers and supplies for classes offered by the college. Textbooks for select titles can be rented for the term with a valid credit card. The bookstore also sells cap and gown sets for commencement and a variety of Wor-Wic insignia items, such as clothing and mugs.

Wor-Wic is aware of the high cost of college textbooks. Faculty members try to select reasonably-priced textbooks that provide currency, relevance and the most effective presentation of course content. Students who buy textbooks can find specific ordering information, such as the author, title and ISBN number, on the bookstore website three weeks prior to each term. The information is as accurate as possible, but students should be cautioned that it is possible that ISBN numbers or editions can change. Students are encouraged to purchase textbooks from the college bookstore, but they can purchase used or new textbooks from other bookstores or online vendors.

The bookstore buys back used textbooks from students who want to sell them based on demand. The best time to sell textbooks is the final examination period in each term.


The café in the Hazel Center sells a variety of hot and cold food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Items are prepared fresh daily and are available for dine in or carry out. The menu features a full breakfast, salads, deli and grilled sandwiches, pizza, chicken tenders, soups, snacks, homemade desserts, Rise Up coffee and Pepsi products. The café offers daily entree specials and combo meals. Cash, credit and Apple Pay are accepted forms of payment. Customers may pre-order on the Bite for Universities app and pick up completed orders in the café. SoGo cash cards are also available for purchase in the café. Additional money can be added to the card at the café or online. Students can use their financial aid credit balance to purchase SoGo cash cards at the cashier’s office. The dining area can seat more than 200 people and several computers are available for people to use when dining.

Food Pantry and Community Garden

To help with the large percentage of community college students who experience some form of food insecurity, the college operates a community garden and food pantry. Located between the Hazel Center (HC) and the Jordan Center (JC), the community garden is the primary supplier of produce to the food pantry. The college has also partnered with the Maryland Food Bank to augment the pantry with other nutritious food items. Located in HC 301, the food pantry is staffed by employee and student volunteers. All students must show a valid Wor-Wic ID card in order to obtain food for themselves and their families. The food pantry also coordinates bulk food distributions several times during the year.

Library Services

Wor-Wic’s electronic library supports the academic, professional and institutional information needs of students, faculty and other college employees. Resource centers, located in Brunkhorst Hall and Shockley Hall, are staffed to provide research assistance with accessing, identifying, locating and evaluating resources from online subscription databases, open educational resource databases and the internet, as well as citing sources, answering reference questions and accessing specialized software applications. Online subscription databases cover a wide variety of academic disciplines and can be accessed both on and off campus through the library services web page.

Through cooperative agreements with Salisbury University (SU) and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), Wor-Wic students and faculty with a current Wor-Wic identification card can obtain a special borrower’s card at SU or UMES in order to check out materials.

Acceptable Use of Technology Resources

The college provides access to technology resources necessary to support the educational mission of the college. Access to college technology resources is granted as a privilege, and as such, imposes certain responsibilities and obligations. By using the college’s technology resources, users agree to abide by these policies and procedures. Disciplinary sanctions for violations range from the loss of technology privileges, dismissal from the college and/or legal action, depending on the nature of the violation. Specific information about violations and sanctions can be found in Appendix B .

Personal Electronic Account Privacy Protection

Wor-Wic does not require, request, suggest or cause a student, an applicant or a prospective student to grant access to, allow observation of or disclose information that allows access to or observation of an individual’s personal electronic account. The college’s full policy regarding privacy for personal electronic accounts can be found in Appendix C .

Class Cancellations

Insufficient Enrollment

The college reserves the right to cancel any course due to insufficient enrollment or for other reasons when such action is deemed necessary by the college. Every effort is made to schedule required classes so that a minimum of cancellations is necessary.

Instructor Illness

When a class is canceled due to the illness of an instructor, a notice is posted on the classroom door as soon as possible. Questions about class cancellations should be directed to the department head (for credit classes) or the continuing education and workforce development division (for non-credit classes).

Inclement Weather

For college closing and security alerts, Wor-Wic uses Omnilert, a web-based universal notification system, to send alerts to individuals who sign up for this free service. Anyone who creates an Omnilert account can register to receive announcements via text message, email and/or phone call.

In addition to Omnilert announcements, college closings and delays are posted on Wor-Wic’s website and the college’s Facebook and Twitter accounts. Closings and delays are also called in to WMDT and WBOC-TV.

If the college is closed due to inclement weather, all classes held on- or off-campus are canceled. If the college has a delayed opening, students should report at the time announced if one hour or more of the class remains. If less than one hour remains, the class is canceled. This also applies to students who are scheduled to report at an off-campus clinical site – unless alternative instructions were included in the class syllabus. Online classes continue as scheduled.

If the college is open and the public schools are closed, classes held in the public schools are canceled. Students enrolled in classes held at any of the senior centers in Worcester County should call 410-632-1277 after 6:30 p.m.

If classes are not canceled or delayed for inclement weather, students are responsible for making their own decisions based on their judgment of local road conditions.

Discrimination and Harassment

Discrimination and harassment can seriously damage the integrity of an educational institution, destroy the institution’s positive work and educational atmosphere and cause psychological and physiological damage to the victims. The college condemns such activity and is strongly committed to promoting a work and academic environment free from discrimination and harassment and to addressing and resolving complaints in a timely fashion.

Wor-Wic Community College does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, disability, income level, limited English proficiency or any other characteristic protected by law in the admission and treatment of students, access to educational programs and activities, and the terms and conditions of employment.

This policy applies to all students, employees, visitors and third party vendors who are hired by the college. This policy covers any prohibited conduct that occurs on campus or off campus when conducting college business or is circulated at or from the college, during college operating hours or using college equipment, via email, phone, voice mail, text messages, tweets, blog posts, social networking sites or other means.

Questions and complaints should be submitted to Wor-Wic’s Title VI and IX coordinators and discrimination investigators.

  Student complaints: Employee complaints:
  Dr. Deirdra G. Johnson Karen Berkheimer
  Dean of Enrollment Management and Student Services Executive Director of Human Resources
  Wor-Wic Community College Wor-Wic Community College
  MTC 103D BH 107
  32000 Campus Drive 32000 Campus Drive
  Salisbury, MD 21804 Salisbury, MD 21804
  410-334-2902 410-334-2915
  djohnson@worwic.edu kberkheimer@worwic.edu

Definitions, examples and procedures for handling complaints can be found in Appendix D .

Sexual Misconduct

Wor-Wic prohibits acts of sexual misconduct including sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is defined to include harassment (quid pro quo or unwelcome conduct), sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking. Definitions of these offenses, a description of supportive measures, and investigation and disciplinary procedures can be found in Appendix E .

Public Safety

The college strives to provide students and employees with a learning and working environment that is safe and secure, free from substance abuse, sex offenses and other crimes. Policies and procedures are developed to meet this goal and to comply with federal, state and local laws that govern the conduct of students and employees at college facilities or at college-sponsored events. Specific policies and procedures related to public safety are provided in Appendix F .

An annual security report, which contains policies and procedures regarding campus security, alcohol and drug use, safety and crime prevention tips, crime reporting procedures and crime statistics, is available to all students and employees and prospective students and employees. A copy of the report can be obtained by contacting the public safety department at 410-334-2937.

Student Conduct

The college believes that its values of honesty, respect and responsibility should form the foundation of student conduct, particularly classroom behavior and academic work. All students are expected to abide by specific regulations that define appropriate behavior. These regulations apply to all students in any college facility or in the immediate vicinity or any college-sponsored event. Students in certain programs or facilities could be required to adhere to additional regulations issued by that program or facility.

In addition to following other student conduct regulations, all students are expected to exhibit appropriate classroom behavior. In order to adhere to the guidelines for civility in the classroom, students should:

  1. Use electronic devices only for instructor-directed educational purposes or emergency situations in the classroom;
  2. Arrive for class on time and avoid leaving early;
  3. Remain attentive throughout the entire class session;
  4. Listen actively and avoid side conversations while the instructor or another student is presenting information;
  5. Demonstrate a respectful attitude toward the instructor and other students during discussion and debate;
  6. See their instructor during office hours instead of during class time if they need clarification of course material missed due to absence;
  7. Consume food in the classroom only with permission of the instructor; and
  8. Leave a clean environment for the next class.

Appendix G  contains a description of the student-faculty disciplinary committee, as well as definitions of behaviors that are considered primary or secondary offenses. A single violation of any primary offense or repeated violations of a secondary offense could result in referral to the student-faculty disciplinary committee. Any student or employee of the college can refer student conduct violations to the chairperson of the student-faculty disciplinary committee. Student conduct cases of an unusual or emergency nature can be referred to the vice president for enrollment management and student services or the vice president for academic affairs when immediate action is deemed necessary. All other cases are handled by committee hearings.

Mandatory Administrative Withdrawals

A mandatory administrative withdrawal of a student can occur when there is imminent danger, a threat of a serious nature, harm to others, damage to property or a serious disruption of the educational environment. An administrative withdrawal can occur with or without a student conference when a student is unwilling or unable to voluntarily withdraw from the college and a mandatory withdrawal is deemed appropriate. College officials hold a conference with the student, if practicable, in order to give the student an opportunity to present his or her case and discuss withdrawal procedures, if deemed necessary. In certain circumstances, counseling office employees are included to assist the student and make appropriate referrals.

An administrative withdrawal can be initiated by the president, the vice president for academic affairs or the vice president for enrollment management and student services. An administrative withdrawal is considered an emergency action. It does not replace violations of the student code of conduct or consequences recommended by the student-faculty disciplinary committee. Students are notified in writing of the reason for the administrative withdrawal and conditions for readmission to the college. A student can appeal an administrative withdrawal to the president within five business days of the time the student is notified of the original decision. The decision of the president, upon notification of the parties involved, is final.

Student Records

Wor-Wic complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and its amendments. FERPA is a federal law that deals with the confidentiality of student educational records. The act, and regulations implemented by the department of education, govern the dissemination of student educational records at all colleges and universities that receive federal funds.

FERPA affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their educational records. Under FERPA, an “eligible student” is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days after the day the college receives a request for access;
  • The right to request an amendment of the student’s educational records if the student believes the record is inaccurate or misleading;
  • The right to provide written consent before the college discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without con­sent; and
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning an alleged failure by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The registrar maintains a record on each credit student that includes the student’s application form, any high school or college transcripts, a Wor-Wic transcript, current enrollment status and a record of disciplinary action, if applicable. In addition to student records maintained by the registrar, the business office maintains student financial payment records, and the emergency medical services, nursing, occupational therapy assistant, physical therapist assistant and radiologic technology department heads maintain the clinical evaluation records of their students. The continuing education and workforce development division maintains course records that contain information on continuing education students.

Certain information is considered public and is provided to any individual who makes a request for the information, unless the student submits a written request for the information to be withheld. This information includes, but is not limited to, the student’s name, photo ID, whether or not an individual has ever attended Wor-Wic, the dates of the student’s attendance, city of residence, dean’s list honors, major, any degree received and date of graduation.

A student’s date of birth, last address and/or telephone number can be verified by the college if the correct date, address and phone number are provided by the requester. Lists of graduates and dean’s list students with city or town of residence are also routinely released to the news media. A student who would like to prevent the release of such information must submit a written request to the registrar or the dean of continuing education and workforce development before the end of the first week of class. Official enrollment verifications cannot be processed until after the last day for dropping classes for the term since the student’s enrollment status is not official until the end of the schedule adjustment period. Unofficial enrollment verifications can be made prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period.

However, notification of a student’s current and expected enrollment status is sent to specified parties upon the written request of the student. Access to other information is limited to those who have a legitimate need for such information, as designated by the registrar for credit students and by the dean of continuing education and workforce development for continuing education students. For example, a student’s current address, telephone number and enrollment status may be provided to library personnel at Salisbury University or the University of Maryland Eastern Shore when this information is needed to assist Wor-Wic students. Any information in a student’s record may be released in an emergency if the knowledge of such information is needed to protect the health and safety of an individual. More information about access to student records by individual students, college employees and outside requesters is provided in Appendix H .

Administrative Grievances

A student who believes that he or she has been treated unfairly with regard to a college policy or procedure should submit a written grievance to the dean of enrollment management and student services within six months from the date of the incident. The grievance should include the student’s name, the policy or procedure that is the basis for the student’s grievance, the names of any college employees the student has discussed the grievance with and an explanation of what the student wants the dean of enrollment management and student services to do for the student.

After a written grievance is received, it is investigated by the dean of enrollment management and student services, and a decision about the outcome of the case is rendered in 10 business days. A student can appeal the decision to the vice president for enrollment management and student services. The basis for the appeal must be submitted within five business days of the time the student is notified of the original decision. The decision of the vice president, upon notification of the parties involved, is final. All decisions regarding administrative grievances are filed as part of the permanent student record.

Messages for Students or Faculty Members

College classes cannot be interrupted in order to communicate with students or faculty members, except in the event of a medical emergency.

A message received at the college information desk is defined as a medical emergency when it is received by telephone or in-person from a verifiable licensed physician, nurse, police officer or other emergency medical personnel. All such communications are immediately transferred to the dean of enrollment management and student services or a college public safety officer. In these situations, the class or laboratory is interrupted by an appropriate official of the college, who contacts and assists the student or faculty member, or follows any specific instructions provided.

Other urgent (non-medical emergency) communications require specific information from the individual providing the information before arranging for a college public safety officer to post the message with the name of the student or faculty member to whom the message is directed, in an area clearly visible on the window of the door of the appropriate classroom or laboratory. Any unclaimed messages are discarded as soon as the room has been vacated.

Lost and Found

Lost or found items can be retrieved or turned in to the college information desk in Brunkhorst Hall. Items of perceived value such as wallets, purses and jewelry are immediately forwarded to public safety for safekeeping. Items found are retained for 90 days prior to disposal.

Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards are located at various locations throughout the campus. Students who want to post an item on a bulletin board must obtain permission from the director of student engagement. Posting anything on interior walls, wooden doors, or window inserts that eliminate views in or out of rooms, is not permitted. Students are encouraged to post items for sale through the classifieds section of the myWor-Wic portal.

Student Organizations and Activities

Student Ambassador Program

The student ambassador program provides Wor-Wic students with an opportunity to serve in leadership roles on campus. Student ambassadors serve as campus representatives at college tours, open houses, new student welcome sessions and as speakers to student groups. More information can be obtained from the director of student engagement.

Student Government Association

All credit students are members of the Student Government Association (SGA). The purpose of the SGA is to establish, promote and finance organizations and events directed toward the benefit of the students and to provide a student representative on designated college committees. The SGA operates with fees generated from students at the beginning of each fall and spring term. All organizations approved and recognized by the SGA are eligible for consideration of funding from the SGA. Procedures to obtain recognition of a new organization include the submission of a constitution and bylaws, a list of officers, the signature of a proposed advisor and the signatures of at least five interested students. The SGA’s executive board then makes a recommendation through the college administration to the college’s board of trustees. 

Alpha Nu Omicron

Membership in Wor-Wic’s Alpha Nu Omicron chapter of Phi Theta Kappa is open to all students working toward an associate degree who accumulate at least 12 credit hours in courses at the 100 level or above and achieve a minimum grade point average of 3.5. Phi Theta Kappa is an international honor society for two-year college students.

Black Student Association

The Black Student Association provides a support network for the black community at Wor-Wic and provides cultural enrichment and awareness to the campus and the community at large. Membership is open to all students and employees interested in actively working to make a change for unity by encouraging the principles of scholarship, leadership and the uplifting of the culture.

Chemical Dependency Counseling Student Association

The Chemical Dependency Counseling Student Association is a professional student association that promotes the interests and needs of Wor-Wic’s chemical dependency counseling students. Membership is open to all students majoring in chemical dependency counseling or any student interested in the field.

Criminal Justice Club

The Criminal Justice Club provides students with information about different career choices in criminal justice, opportunities to network with students and professionals employed in the field and with opportunities for members to discuss issues and current events directly related to criminal justice. Membership is open to all credit students at the college.

“Echoes & Visions” Editorial Board

The “Echoes & Visions” Editorial Board provides an opportunity for students to learn how to curate submissions, sequence, layout, edit and promote a student literary journal. This club produces “Echoes & Visions,” the college’s nationally award-winning literary journal. Membership is open to all students, alumni and employees.

Eta Sigma Delta

Wor-Wic’s Eta Sigma Delta chapter of the International Hospitality Management Honor Society recognizes the scholastic and professional achievements of students and alumni in hospitality, tourism and culinary arts. Membership is open to currently-enrolled hotel-motel-restaurant management majors with a 3.0 grade point average who meet eligibility criteria for induction into the organization.

Future Educators of America Club

The Future Educators of America Club promotes student awareness of the field of education and the development of future teachers. Membership is open to all students.

Gaming Association

The purpose of the Gaming Association is to establish an environment in which everyone can feel welcome and be leaders while engaging in many different types of gaming. The club promotes education, self-growth and skill development through gaming in order to increase creativity, enhance literacy through collaborative storytelling and provide a healthy atmosphere for role-playing. Membership is open to students, alumni and employees interested in participating in role-playing and games.

Garden Club

The Garden Club provides an opportunity for students interested in gardening to become involved in sustaining Wor-Wic’s community garden. Membership is open to all students with a declared major, as well as college employees.    

Gay-Straight Alliance

The Gay-Straight Alliance promotes a positive and inclusive atmosphere for all people and works to combat misconceptions and prejudgments of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning and intersex (LGBTQI) individuals. The Gay-Straight Alliance raises awareness of LGBTQI culture and history among students and employees. Membership is open to all students, alumni and employees.

Japanese Culture Club

The purpose of the Japanese Culture Club is to educate its members about the roots and history of anime, manga and East Asian culture and to further the knowledge of Japanese culture among its members. Membership is open to Wor-Wic students, alumni and employees.

Nursing Student Organization

Membership in the Nursing Student Organization is open to all students who are enrolled in the nursing program. Pre-nursing students can attend meetings as non-voting members.

Occupational Therapy Assistant Club

This club was formed to promote visibility, growth and fellowship among occupational therapy assistant students, faculty and the community. Membership is open to all students enrolled in the program. 

Parents Club

The Parents Club provides opportunities for parents to discuss parenting issues, share parenting tips and engage each other in the joys and struggles of parenthood. Membership is open to all students and employees.

Physical Therapist Assistant Student Organization

This organization was formed to promote personal and professional growth and lifelong learning of club members, and to inform and educate the campus and local community about physical therapy. Membership is open to all students enrolled in this program. 

Pineapple Club

The Pineapple Club was created to promote the professional and personal development of hotel-motel-restaurant management students. Membership is open to all currently-enrolled hotel-motel-restaurant management program students.

Student United Way

Wor-Wic’s Student United Way serves the local community by advocating, volunteering and giving in the areas of education, income and health. The club helps members grow as leaders, connect to the community and build lasting relationships among members and with the United Way movement. Membership is open to all students, alumni and employees.

Veterans and Military Association

The Veterans and Military Association supports students who have served in the military or those who are currently serving in the military. This club raises awareness of veteran issues and organizes events pertaining to veterans. Membership is open to all students who have served any length of time in the U.S. armed forces.

Wor-Wic Christian Community

The Wor-Wic Christian Community provides regular opportunities to discuss the Bible and to worship and pray in a group setting, providing opportunities for fellowship, outreach and spiritual development among members. Membership is open to all students and employees.