2022-2023 Catalog 
    Jun 15, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

Tuition Rates

The college reserves the right to change tuition rates without prior notice.

In-County $129 per credit hour
Out-of-County $258 per credit hour
Out-of-State Bordering County $259 per credit hour
Out-of-State $323 per credit hour

The in-county rate applies to residents of Worcester, Wicomico and Somerset counties. The out-of-county rate applies to Maryland residents who live outside of Worcester, Wicomico and Somerset counties. The out-of-state bordering county rate applies to residents who live in Accomack County, Virginia, and Sussex County, Delaware. The out-of-state rate applies to residents of any state other than Maryland.

The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 as amended by the Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016 requires that public institutions of higher education charge qualifying veterans, dependents and other eligible individuals tuition and fees at the rate for in-state residents. Wor-Wic’s in-state rates vary based on county residency. Information about eligibility is provided in Appendix I .

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students are eligible for in-county tuition rates if they provide a federal employment authorization card with a C33 category code. Non- U.S. citizens who meet the requirements of the Maryland Dream Act can pay in-state tuition rates. Go to the college website for eligibility information.

Victims of human trafficking residing in Maryland are eligible for in-county tuition rates. Information about eligibility is available on the college website.

Residency Requirements

At the time of admission or whenever a student reports a change in student information, he or she must confirm his or her domicile for tuition classification purposes. As used here, “domicile” is defined as “a student’s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possessions are maintained with the intention of remaining indefinitely” or “the permanent place of abode of any person or persons contributing more than one-half of the student’s financial support during the most recently-completed year.”

To establish domicile, students must permanently reside in the state or county for at least three months prior to the beginning of the term. The burden of proof is upon the student. Local residence does not automatically guarantee domicile status and supporting evidence of residency could be required. College officials can request evidence of the student’s domicile and/or financial independence by requiring documentation, such as:  

  • driver’s license or state-issued ID card; 

  • lease, rental agreement or deed; 

  • utility statements; 

  • income tax returns; 

  • vehicle registration or title; 

  • auto and/or health insurance policies; and/or

  • voter registration.

Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents who are unable to provide a permanent resident card are classified as out-of-state students. For a non-U.S. citizen to be considered a Maryland resident for the purpose of this policy, the student shall possess the legal capacity under state and federal law to establish Maryland domicile.  

Specific provisions for determining domicile also apply to military personnel and dependents, students in statewide and regional programs, reciprocal agreements between states and contracts with business and industry. Information regarding these specific provisions can be obtained from admissions.

Students can request a change in their residency classification or an appeal of their current residency status by contacting the admissions office. 

Tuition Waivers

Tuition (not including fees) is waived for Maryland residents who are 60 years old or older or who are retired as a result of a disability as defined by the Social Security or Railroad Retirement Act, who enroll in any credit class that has at least 10, or is being continued with less than 10, regularly-enrolled students. Members of the Maryland National Guard who have two or more years of service remaining are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver. Appropriate documentation for a Maryland National Guard waiver must be presented each term. In order to receive a tuition waiver based on retirement due to a disability, the student must provide appropriate documentation from the Social Security Administration. In order to receive a tuition waiver based on disability, students must submit documentation of the disability and apply for federal financial aid annually. The disability waiver is applied only when the financial aid awarded to the student does not fully cover tuition charges. The senior citizen tuition waivers are provided on a space-available basis. In order to qualify for a senior citizen tuition waiver, the student must provide proof that his or her 60th birthday has occurred prior to the first class session. Tuition waiver forms are available in student services.

Dual Enrollment

The College and Career Readiness and College Completion Act of 2013 offers qualified dual enrollment students discounts for tuition. Public high school students in Worcester, Wicomico or Somerset County, as well as Delmar High School students who live in Maryland, can enroll in fall and spring term classes for free if they qualify for free and reduced meals (FARM), while those who do not qualify for FARM pay 90% of the 75% tuition rate.

Students attending Holly Grove Christian, The Salisbury School, Salisbury Christian School or Stepping Stones Learning Academy, private schools that have a signed dual enrollment agreement with the college, pay 75% of Wor-Wic’s regular tuition rate. 

Students are required to provide certification by a high school official that they meet the school’s dual enrollment eligibility requirements before they can enroll.


The college reserves the right to change fees without prior notice.

Technology Fee (per credit hour) $20
SGA Fee (per credit hour) $2
Proficiency Examination Fee (per credit hour) $35
Other Course Fees variable

Payment Procedures

Wor-Wic accepts cash, checks, money orders, VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Payment can be made online, through Wor-Wic’s mobile app, in person to the cashier (BH 108) or by mail to: Cashier, Wor-Wic Community College, 32000 Campus Dr., Salisbury, MD 21804. Checks, which must include the student’s ID and phone numbers, should be made payable to Wor-Wic Community College. A $20 fee is applied to the student’s account for each returned check.

Students can view an itemized list of charges, payments and financial aid awards that have been applied to their accounts by accessing the myWor-Wic portal. Students who have not made full payment, enrolled in a payment plan, provided third-party payment documentation or accepted and signed their financial aid award package on myWor-Wic by the payment deadline for each term will have their registrations dropped. Students who register after the payment deadline must make full payment, enroll in a payment plan or provide third-party payment documentation at the time of registration.

Students whose tuition is being paid by a third party, such as an employer, must provide a letter from the third party guaranteeing payment to the cashier by the payment deadline for each term or at the time of registration for those who register after the payment deadline. The letter must be written on company letterhead and include the student’s name, student ID number, course number and title, the total amount of the student’s tuition and fees, the company’s billing address and the signature of the person authorizing payment. Since Wor-Wic’s bookstore is an independent entity, a separate letter is required if the third party is guaranteeing payment for the student’s books and/or supplies. If the third party refuses to pay after receiving an invoice, the student is responsible for the payment.

Payment Plans

Interest-free payment plans are available to all credit students who register for at least three credit hours. Students must make a down payment and pay a $20 payment plan fee when they sign up for a payment plan. Students can sign up for a payment plan on the myWor-Wic portal or in person at the cashier’s office. The number of monthly payments is dependent upon the date the student signs up for the payment plan.

Students can view their payment due dates at the myWor-Wic portal. Students who do not make their monthly payments within seven days of each due date are charged a $25 late payment fee. Dropping or withdrawing from a course does not eliminate the student’s financial obligations to the college.

Delinquent Accounts

Students who have delinquent accounts with the college or the libraries at Salisbury University or the University of Maryland Eastern Shore cannot obtain enrollment verifications, official transcripts or diplomas. Past due balances are forwarded to the Maryland Central Collection Unit (CCU). A 17% collection fee is added to all debts referred to the CCU.


Refunds of tuition and fees are provided to students who complete the drop process by the deadlines listed in the academic calendar. Students who are eligible for online registration can complete the drop process online, while those who are not eligible for online registration must meet with their advisor. 

Veterans Benefits

In addition to the standard student services offered by the college, veterans and their eligible dependents can receive added assistance from the regional Veterans Administration (VA) office. The tuition and fees of veterans and their eligible dependents approved for the Post 9-11 GI-Bill® and veterans approved for vocational rehabilitation programs are paid directly to the college by the VA. Since educational benefits for other veteran programs are paid directly to the student, students are directly responsible to the college for the payment of their tuition and fees. Wor-Wic complies with the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 as amended by the Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016. The college also complies with 38 USC 3679(e), which allows any student eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI-Bill® benefits and Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits to enroll in classes without delay or penalty due to delayed funding from the VA. The college recognizes and adheres to VA standards and strives to assist veterans as much as possible in resolving discrepancies that relate to educational programming. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Education Tax Credits

American Opportunity Credit/Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits are available to eligible students under federal legislation. The American Opportunity Credit/Hope enables students to receive a tax credit of up to $2,500 per year for four years of postsecondary education. The Lifetime Learning tax credit is available for an unlimited number of years for up to $2,000 each year. The business office sends 1098-T tuition statements to students by Jan. 31 each year.

Financial Aid

Wor-Wic offers a variety of financial aid opportunities, including federal programs such as grants, work-study and educational loans, state scholarships and a variety of institutional scholarships.

Students interested in applying for aid with a need-based component must complete the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) and provide follow-up documentation as requested. Students can complete the FAFSA online at studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa as early as Oct. 1. Internet access and computers that can be used to complete the FAFSA are available in the financial aid office. Up to three copies of the paper application can be obtained by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.

To be eligible for consideration of any federal, state or local financial aid, students must have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To receive federal, state and/or institutional financial aid, students must meet all satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards as set by the federal government. The purpose of measuring and enforcing these standards is to ensure that financial aid recipients are making progress toward graduation. To meet SAP standards, students must:

  1. Successfully complete 67% of all attempted college-level credits;
  2. Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, with this GPA calculation including grades received in developmental coursework and which, therefore, could be different than the GPA on the student’s Wor-Wic transcript; and
  3. Complete graduation requirements before attempting more than 150% of the program length, with transfer credits being included in this calculation. 

Satisfactory academic progress is measured at the end of the fall and spring terms and combined summer terms, once students have attempted 10 credits or more.

If students are unable to meet SAP requirements, they are placed on warning for one term and are still eligible to receive aid. If a student fails to meet the standards at the completion of the warning term, they are placed on suspension and are ineligible to receive financial aid until they meet the minimum standards. Students who fail to meet SAP standards have the right to submit an appeal to the financial aid office. More information about the appeal process is available on the college website. 

Federal Programs

PELL GRANTS – Pell grants provide the primary source of federal financial aid for full- and part-time students. The amount of the award is based on the student’s financial need, the cost of the student’s education and the number of credit hours the student is taking. Financial need is determined by information provided on the FAFSA. These grants do not have to be repaid.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANTS (FSEOG) – These grants are based on the student’s financial need, the availability of these grant funds and the amount of other aid the student is receiving. Preference is given to students who have maximum Pell grant eligibility. These grants do not have to be repaid.

WORK-STUDY – Students who demonstrate a need for financial aid could be eligible for part-time jobs to help finance their education. Students can work up to 20 hours per week. The number of positions is limited, and students are eligible based on their degree of financial need. Students can apply for the federal work-study program in career services.

LOANS – The federal government offers a variety of low interest loans. These loans are available to students who are enrolled in six or more credit hours and who are making satisfactory academic progress. In addition to the FAFSA, interested students must sign a master promissory note and complete entrance counseling. New borrowers to Wor-Wic must attend a mandatory loan seminar. The loan program includes: 1) subsidized direct loans, which are based on financial need, whereby the federal government pays the interest on the loan during periods of enrollment or during authorized periods of deferment and the borrower is obligated to begin repayment of the loan within six months after graduation or when he or she drops below six credit hours; 2) unsubsidized direct loans, which are not awarded on the basis of need, whereby the federal government does not pay the interest while the student is enrolled, but the principal amount of the loan is deferred during periods of half-time enrollment status and the student is charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full; and 3) direct PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) loans, which are available to parents of dependent students who are enrolled on a full- or half-time basis, whereby parents with good credit histories can borrow to pay the educational expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate, with repayment of the principal and interest beginning within 60 days of the final loan disbursement.

Developmental Credit Limitation

Students can receive federal aid for only 30 credit hours of developmental coursework.

Repeated Coursework

Students can receive federal aid for only one repeat of a previously-passed course.

Repayment Obligation

When a student who is receiving a Pell grant, FSEOG and/or a federal direct loan withdraws from the college or stops attending classes, a portion of the financial aid that has been received may need to be returned to the federal government. If a student withdraws or stops attending classes prior to the 60% point of the term, the percentage of financial aid to be returned is based on the number of days the student actually attended. If a student withdraws or stops attending classes after completing at least 60% of the term, the student is eligible for 100% of the federal financial aid funds received.

State Scholarships & Grants

CONROY – The Edward T. Conroy memorial scholarship program is designed to provide financial assistance to sons and daughters of deceased, missing in action or prisoner of war U.S. armed forces personnel; a 100% service connected disabled veteran; a veteran who suffers a service connected disability of 25% or greater and who has exhausted or is no longer eligible for federal veteran’s educational benefits; sons and daughters of deceased public safety personnel; surviving spouses of deceased public safety personnel who have not remarried; disabled public safety personnel and sons, daughters and/or surviving spouses of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. New applicants are encouraged to apply by July 15 of each year, but applications are accepted throughout the year. The total dollar amount of the award cannot exceed the cost of attendance as determined by the financial aid office. 

EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE – Educational assistance grants are awarded based on financial need to full-time students who live in Maryland. March 1 is the deadline for completing the FAFSA in order to be considered for state aid.

LEGISLATIVE – Senatorial and delegate scholarships are available to full-and part-time students who live in Maryland. In addition to completing the FAFSA, students interested in the senatorial and delegate scholarships must contact the senator and delegates in their districts.

NEAR COMPLETER GRANT – The Near Completer Grant is available to eligible applicants not currently enrolled at a postsecondary institution, but who plan to re-enroll to finish their degree. Eligible applicants must have previously attended a public two-year postsecondary institution, completed at least 45 college credits and earned a cumulative minimum grade point average of 2.0. Those interested should apply directly to the Maryland Higher Education Commission before the July 1 deadline. 

PROMISE – High school graduates and GED completers who are eligible for a Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship can receive up to $5,000 in annual tuition assistance by completing the FAFSA (or Maryland State Financial Aid Application for those who are eligible for in-state tuition but not eligible for federal financial aid) by March 1.

Institutional Merit Scholarships

A variety of scholarships based on scholastic achievement are available to Wor-Wic students through funding provided by individuals, businesses and organizations associated with the college or the college’s foundation. In order to be considered for all merit scholarships, students must submit an application through the scholarship application system on the college website (https://worwic.academicworks.com). Students must re-submit a scholarship application each year that they want to be considered for a scholarship award.

Institutional Need-Based Scholarships

A variety of scholarships with a need-based component are available to Wor-Wic students through funding provided by individuals, businesses and organizations associated with the college or the college’s foundation. In order to be considered for all need-based scholarships, students must complete the FAFSA and submit an application through the scholarship application system on the college website (https://worwic.academicworks.com). Students must re-submit a FAFSA and a scholarship application each year that they want to be considered for a scholarship award.